Skip to Content

Explore: Sonoma County

"Leading the fight against hunger"

Sonoma County CalFresh

CalFresh Application Instructions

Ways to Apply:
  • On-line through
  • By phone or if you would like to make an appointment, call 1-877-699-6868 (toll free)
  • Mail applications to:
    County of Sonoma Human Services Department
    P.O. Box 1539
  • Santa Rosa, CA 95402-9958
  • Or in person at:
If you need further assistance with filing applications, you can also visit one of the additional locations here (link).
Be prepared to make this application process easier by having the following documents

If applying in person, on-line, or if you decide to mail in your application, you will need to provide the following verifications:

  • Identification – Driver’s license, school or work identification
  • Social Security Number – only for the person you are applying for
  • Immigration and naturalization verifications – unless you are applying ONLY for US born children; Sponsored Non-citizen Information
  • Residency (you can use mail received at your current address to show you are Sonoma County resident)
  • Pay stubs/verification of what you or members of your household who are working are paid in the past 30 days
  • Unearned income verifications such as unemployment insurance or disability benefits
  • Bank account numbers for checking accounts, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, credit union accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, dividends, etc.
  • Medical Expenses
  • Child Support Obligations and Payments (court-ordered)
SSI/SSP recipients are not eligible for CalFresh: All SSI/SSP recipients in California have been allotted a cash amount instead of CalFresh with their benefits. However, if you are a parent of non-SSI children you may apply for them.

SonomaWORKs is a program that can provide cash assistance, CalFresh benefits and Medi-Cal if your family is eligible. To be eligible, the children in the home must have a deprivation, such as a deceased parent, an absent or disabled parent, or if both parents are in the home and are working less than 100 hours per month or are unemployed. In addition to deprivation, eligible families must meet certain income and property guidelines. For more information please call (707) 565-5500, Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm. For applications, please visit our office at 2227 Capricorn Way, Suite 100 (Southside entrance), Santa Rosa, CA 95407.